Confession: I love raw cookie dough! I’m gluten-free and wanted to overcome a cookie craving both my hubby and I were having. While I’m a raw cookie dough nibbler, he likes his fully baked. Recently, he discovered a pre-made, frozen gluten free cookie dough in the “healthy” section at the grocery store which was delicious but way too sweet/sugary…and addictive! And although we thoroughly enjoyed it in the moment, we didn’t feel well afterward. (Shocker).
I wanted to both enjoy a treat AND conquer our cookie craving with a healthy twist. Here’s what came out of it:
Raw, No-Bake, Pretty Healthy Chocolate Chip “Cookie Dough” Bites
(a.k.a. The Best Energy Balls I’ve Ever Made). These are super simple, great for when you want something sweet, filling, still good for you, and/or when you don’t feel like heating up your oven! You can even make them completely refined sugar-free (see suggestion below).
This recipe is so simple and you can enlist your kids to help you make it.
You will need:
1 cup oats
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup organic semi-sweet chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
1/4 to 1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp MCT oil (or melted coconut oil)
1 to 3 tbsp water
tiny pinch sea salt
unsweetened shredded coconut
How to make:
1. In a blender, pulse oats until they resemble coarse flour.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together ground oats, cinnamon and sea salt.
3. Add peanut butter, honey and oil. Knead to combine evenly. Add chocolate chips. Knead some more.
4. You should now have a mixture sticky enough to make a dough-like ball. If it’s too crumbly, add water 1 tbsp at a time mixing thoroughly between water additions to get the mixture sticky enough to stick together.
5. Roll your dough into 1″ balls. Place into small dish of coconut and toss gently to coat.
Makes about 12 bite-sized balls (if you can keep yourself from sampling before they’re made!). Refrigerate any leftovers. Take on your next picnic.
Hubs didn’t mind at all that these didn’t come out of the oven.
Replace chocolate chips with cacao nibs, carob chips or raisins.